The Langdon medical office, built before the Civil War years, was situated on Eastern Avenue in Cincinnati in a section called Linwood. Here Dr. Henry Archer Langdon practiced medicine from 1865 to 1876. This small two-room office and its collection of medical instruments tell the story of medicine in the nineteenth century.
The building, which resembles steamboat architecture, was completely dismantled and rebuilt on its present site in the Heritage Village Museum.
Although Dr. Langdon was educated in a medical college, most doctors were not. Nineteenth century medicine was practiced in the home and, consequently, there were no regular office hours.
Grandmothers and mothers used home remedies passed down from generation to generation to cure most illnesses, and midwives delivered most babies. When a doctor was needed for more serious illnesses, he would normally treat his patients in their homes.